Teaching Knowledge Test (TKT)
TKT is a new test about teaching English to speakers of other languages. It aims to increase teachers’ confidence and enhance job prospects by focusing on the core teaching knowledge needed by teachers of primary, secondary or adult learners, anywhere in the world.
This flexible and accessible award will help you to understand:
- different methodologies for teaching
- the ‘language of teaching’
- the ways in which resources can be used
- the key aspects of lesson planning
- classroom management methods for different needs.
TKT has three core modules. These can be taken together in one exam session or separately, in any order, over three sessions. Each module consists of a test of 80 objective questions, lasting 80 minutes, which require you to select the correct answer and mark this on a computerised answer sheet.
Module 1 (80 minutes)
Language and background to language learning and teaching
- Describing language and language skills.
- Background to language learning.
- Background to language teaching.
Module 2 (80 minutes)
Planning lessons and use of resources for language teaching
- Planning and preparing a lesson or sequence of lessons.
- Selection and use of resources and materials.
Module 3 (80 minutes)
Managing the teaching and learning process
- Teachers’ and learners’ language in the classroom.
- Classroom management.